#header-wrapper { background:#ffffff URL(/images/banner.png); height:400px; width:1000px; margin:0 auto 0px; border:0px solid $bordercolor; } 400px

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Verdigris



Verdigris is the fabulous bluish green patina that copper takes on as it ages and is exposed to the elements. The perfect Verdigris finish is what every artist that works with copper wants to achieve!



I have been experiment for over a year with different methods to oxidize copper. I have recently discovered the best way to get a VERY green Verdigris finish is to start fuming a piece with ammonia, get distracted by a Jean Claude Van Damme film, and forget about it for hours...OOPS! But seriously, if you pay attention to timing and check it frequently I have found Ammonia works best to produce a pretty Verdigris finish. Just get an air-tight container and fill the bottom with about an inch of ammonia, suspend the piece above it (do not let it touch the ammonia) and seal the container. Let it oxidize for 1/2 an hour to an Hour or more depending on the depth of color you want and viola!



May you always BEAD happy! ~Cova

4 comments:

  1. That's my new word for the day - Verdigris. I like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Verdigris is such a great word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love that green color! And your jewellery is beautiful!
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, please leave comments below.